The ALDI North Group is not just a retailer, employer, business partner or competitor, respectively. We are also a citizen and neighbour. We take responsibility in all these roles. We leverage our expertise and experience to contribute to finding a solution for societal problems above and beyond our core business. As part of our social commitment, we support a wide range of projects focusing on a variety of issues, such as nutrition or improving working conditions throughout the supply chain.
In all nine ALDI North Group countries, we work with national initiatives and organisations to support local and overarching projects. The focus is primarily on food and non-food donations. Beyond that, we sometimes provide support in the form of financial donations. Moreover, ALDI Nord Stiftungs GmbH pursues an international charitable mandate that is oriented towards a stipulated charter.
This commitment focuses on the following areas:
- Doing business sustainably along the value chain
- Climate protection, animal welfare and biological diversity
- Health on and off the job, healthy nutrition and healthy working conditions
- Disaster relief and rescuing those whose lives are in danger, especially in the event of natural and environmental disasters
- Science and research
As a retailer operating on the international stage with a complex value chain, our commitment extends to our products’ countries of origin. Since March 2017, for example, we have supported two coffee and cocoa production projects in Colombia and in west and central Africa. The support benefits farmers and producers in those regions, as well as their families, and contributes to greater sustainability in cultivation.
As a field of action, social commitment is centrally anchored in our Corporate Responsibility (CR) Policy, despite usually taking the form of local commitment. The projects are therefore selected and promoted independently in the ALDI North Group countries. The regional companies manage their social commitment independently in Germany as well – with the support of the ALDI Buying CR department. Since 2016, ALDI Nord Stiftungs GmbH has additionally looked after international partnerships and projects beyond the ALDI North Group.
Progress and measures in 2017
Social commitment in the ALDI North Group countries
In the period under review (2017), numerous regional companies in the ALDI countries demonstrated their commitment to society through partnerships, projects and donations. Here are a few selected examples:
- In the period under review, ALDI Netherlands launched a variety of projects and partnerships, including a project dealing with healthy nutrition in cooperation with Jongeren Op Gezond Gewicht (JOGG), a foundation dedicated to combating childhood obesity, and a partnership with the Plastic Soup Foundation designed to address the use of plastic. Since 2017, ALDI Netherlands has also been involved in two research projects dealing with ways to avoid food losses. ALDI Netherlands also participates in charity runs. In 2017, more than 150 employees competed in the KiKa Run, the proceeds of which went to help children with cancer.
- ALDI Denmark is part of a national campaign to fight breast cancer and is donating part of the proceeds from the sale of various products. This partnership has been in place since late 2016 and was continued in 2017.
- Similarly, ALDI Portugal is supporting the World Food Programme of the United Nations by donating part of the proceeds from the sale of Earth Water to the fight against hunger and poverty. ALDI Portugal has also concluded a number of additional local partnerships to help organise food donations.
- In Poland, we are supporting charitable causes by once again taking part in the Katowice Business Run. The entry fees are donated.
- A clean neighbourhood is our aim at ALDI Belgium. All stores participated in Retail Clean Up Day 2017 and organised rubbish collection campaigns in their neighbourhoods.
ALDI Nord Stiftungs GmbH partnerships
As one of its first projects, ALDI Nord Stiftungs GmbH joined forces with Deutsches Kinderhilfswerk (DKHW) to launch Mobile Aktion Ernährung und Bewegung, a mobile project dedicated to teaching children and young people the basics of healthy and sustainable nutrition while helping them discover the joy of physical activity in a fun and enjoyable way. Trailers designed especially for the project make stops at public places and school playgrounds in the ALDI North sales region, where they offer free activities dealing with the topics of healthy nutrition and physical activity. Some 360 events to be supported by DHKW regional partners with a total of six trailers are scheduled to take place between October 2017 and October 2018. ALDI Nord Stiftungs GmbH partnered with Leibniz Institute for Agricultural Engineering and Bioeconomy to support a further project that created a research alliance to develop solutions for sustainable food production and approaches to healthy nutrition. The findings will be made available to the public at large following completion of the project.
Food donations: current projects
As a retailer, we have a responsibility to avoid food waste. Efforts to address the issue combine waste management and social commitment. One aspect of our dedication to fighting food waste is to donate unsaleable food that is still edible. For more information, please see the stories “Saving food” and “Social commitment in Portugal”.
Field of action: social commitment & dialogue promotion
|Objective||Status||Target date||Target Value
|Development of pilot projects for sustainable consumption||2018||Project||Germany|
|Expansion of the dialogue with major stakeholder groups||Ongoing||Participation in sector initiatives||ALDI North Group|
Target achieved Ongoing process
Every year, consumers make 1.2 billion purchases at our stores. Our goal is to promote a healthy, sustainable lifestyle – and make it possible for a broad section of society to engage in affordable, responsible consumption.
ALDI Netherlands went the extra mile in 2017 to support customers on the road to a healthy and sustainable lifestyle. Furthermore protecting the environment and the climate also plays an important role.
Every year, Europeans toss out millions of tonnes of food. This is not just an ethical problem, as throwing away food also means wasting valuable resources. We think that this must stop.
Health is a hot topic in the Netherlands, where discussion centres on childhood and teenage obesity, among other concerns. With a strong partner at our side, we are tackling this issue.
Most pieces of clothing that our customers find in the stores have made a long journey to get there. The travels of our baby bodysuit start in India
“The highest quality – the lowest prices”: in order to keep this promise, all ALDI North products undergo tough quality checks. For employees in Quality Assurance, it is a demanding job.