Data protection is a top priority at the ALDI North Group. We take the protection of your personal data very seriously. Below, we specify the data collected as well as the time and purpose of their collection, processing and usage:
About data protection
The office responsible for data processing in connection with our website is provided below:
ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. OHG
You can reach the Data Protection Officer by email at email@example.com or by post by writing to ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. OHG, c/o Data Protection Officer, Eckenbergstraße 16, 45037 Essen, Germany.
The EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the German Federal Data Protection Act (Bundesdatenschutzgesetz – BDSG), and subsequently the Telemedia Act (Telemediengesetz – TMG), provide protection for personal data. These are data relating to natural persons. Data relating to legal entities are not subject to this protection. Personal data are individual items of information about personal or factual relationships which can be assigned to your person (for example, your name in connection with your telephone number or your email address). This protection does not extend to information which cannot be associated directly with your factual identity (for example, the products displayed to you on a website).
We process your personal data on the basis of consent given to us (Article 6  [a] GDPR), for the performance of a contract to which you are party (Article 6  [b] GDPR), for compliance with a legal obligation to which we are subject (Article 6  [c] GDPR) or for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by us (Article 6  [f] GDPR).
Sharing of personal data with third parties
We do not pass on your data to third parties for purposes of advertising or promotion (the companies of the Aldi North Group are not considered third parties as per this definition). Third parties will only receive your personal data from us in the way described in these notes on data protection. Furthermore, no data will be shared with third countries or international organisations.
What happens when you use our website?
Whenever our website is accessed (in other words, whenever you download or attempt to download a file on this server), data on this operation are stored in a logfile.
In each case, the following dataset is stored relating to the download:
- IP address
- Name of the downloaded file
- Date and time of the download
- Transferred volume of data
- Notification of whether the download was successful
- Notification of why a download might have failed
- Operating system and browser software of your computer
- Screen resolution
- Browser language
- Colour depth
- The website from which you are visiting us
The prepared datasets are stored in logfiles for statistical purposes and deleted after the statistical evaluation. We are unable to identify you using the stored data. The data are also not forwarded by us to third parties. Only in cases where our rights have been breached do we reserve our rights to forward individual datasets to the responsible agencies in order to institute proceedings relating to infringement of rights.
Data is processed on the basis of Article 15 TMG and Article 6 (1) (f) GDPR to optimize our website.
“Local storage” refers to local storage in your browser. We use local storage to temporarily save items that you have added to your virtual shopping list. The saved items will be automatically deleted once the items are no longer available on our website. You can also use our website without local storage without issue. The data collected in your local storage will not be misused for advertising purposes.
This website uses retargeting technologies, which allow us to target advertising on other websites towards those Internet users who have shown particular interest in our website and our products. Retargeting uses a cookie-based analysis of previous user behaviour to display advertising. Cookies are small text files that are stored locally in the cache of the website visitor’s Internet browser. They make it possible to identify the Internet browser upon subsequent visits. Cookies store neither your IP address nor other data that would allow us to draw conclusions related to your person.
The technology we use therefore does not store any personal data. Retargeting technology is used in compliance with the applicable statutory data protection provisions.
You may deactivate the function that displays interest-related advertising if you do not wish to see such advertising. Because this website employs various different retargeting systems, you will need to use each of the links below.
- Opt-out for Flashtalking http://www.flashtalking.com/de-privacy-policy/
- Opt-out for Google https://www.google.de/settings/ads
Use of YouTube videos
We have embedded YouTube videos on our website that are stored at www.youtube.com and can be played directly from our website. All of these videos are embedded in privacy-enhanced mode. As a result, no data about you as a user will be shared with YouTube if you do not play the videos. YouTube cookies will be stored on your computer and data will be transmitted to Google Inc., Amphitheater Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA, which operates YouTube, only if you play the videos.
When you play a video stored on YouTube, the following data or additional information will be shared with Google Inc., the operator of YouTube: IP address and cookie ID, the specific address of the Aldi North Group page accessed, system date and time of access, browser string.
This data will be shared regardless of whether you play a video while actively logged into a Google user account or whether you do not have a user account. If you are logged in, this data will be directly matched with your account. Please log out before activating the button if you do not want this data to be matched with your profile.
YouTube (Google Inc.) will store this data in the form of a user profile and use it for advertising and market research purposes and/or to tailor the design of its website to users’ needs. Even for users who are not logged in, such analysis is performed with a focus on providing tailored advertising and to inform other users about your activities on our website. You may object to the creation of such user profiles. To do so, please contact Google Inc., the operator of YouTube.
Please visit the following website for more information about the purpose and scope of data collection and data processing by Google Inc.
When and for what purposes do we collect, process and use your data?
Personal data are only collected if you make this data available to us – for example, if you register for a service (e.g. newsletter), submit an enquiry to us using our contact form or submit a job application online. In this case, we process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a), (b), (c) or (f) GDPR.
Your personal details are transmitted in encrypted form. This protects communication between you and our web server, and it helps to prevent misuse of data (eavesdropping) by third parties. We use SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) for encryption purposes, an accredited and widely used system on the Internet which is also used, for example, by banks and online shops for Internet transactions. The latest version of this software is acknowledged to be safe. Property-related enquiries are not transmitted in encrypted form.
All personal data gathered on our website are captured, processed and applied in accordance with the relevant applicable regulations for the protection of personal data only for purposes of the services requested by you and for processing your enquiries. We engage service providers when processing your enquiries and when you use our services. The service providers have a contractual obligation to comply with this data protection declaration. The ALDI North Group does not process and use your data for purposes of consultancy, advertising or market research beyond the aforementioned purposes.
- Newsletter: The e-mail address will be deleted from the subscriber database when the subscriber unsubscribes (single opt-out).
- Reminder service: ALDI uses a double opt-in procedure for the reminder service. You will receive an email with a confirmation link according to your selection just a few minutes after you sign up. You will not be added to the ALDI reminder service mailing list until you click on the link to confirm your registration. From then on, you will receive reminders automatically. The e-mail address will be deleted from the subscriber database when the subscriber unsubscribes (single opt-out).
- Customer emails: Customer emails will be made available to the regional companies, which will store them in a customer enquiry mailbox and delete them after 45 days. Enquiries may also be forwarded to ALDI Buying or departments such as CR or HR. Enquiries will be stored in a customer enquiry mailbox and deleted after 45 days.
- Share/recommendation service: The data subject’s social media channels and email client will be opened. However, ALDI will not store any data.
- ALDI app: The mobile device’s UDID will be deleted as soon as the customer stops using the push notification function. The logfiles will be stored and/or deleted as follows:
The logfiles will be stored locally for 10 days on the caching web servers and for 45 days on the Apache web servers.
- Job applications: Please see the paragraph entitled “What happens with your personal data when you submit an online job application?”
You can prevent the storage of cookies by selecting the appropriate settings on your Internet browser and thus refuse the usage of Adobe Analytics. However, please note that if you do so, you may not be able to use the full functionality of the website. Furthermore, you can prevent the cookie-generated collection of the data related to your use of the website (including your IP address) as well as the processing of this data by Adobe by objecting to the data collection and storage via the following link:
How can you find out about the latest special offers from ALDI?
We are happy to inform you about our latest offers regularly by email. Please sign up for our newsletter to receive this information. We will record your email address to send you our newsletter. We will not share your email address with third parties. You may cancel your subscription to our newsletter at any time.
In this case, we process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
Recommend special-buy products by email
Our customers can recommend the latest special-buy products from ALDI by email. Your email address and name, as well as the recipient’s email address, will be stored solely for the purpose of data transmission to inform the recipient about the sender and/or send a message in the event of a transmission error. In this case, we process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) and (f) GDPR, especially to remedy any transmission errors.
Please note that the recipient may find it bothersome to receive unsolicited recommendations. You may use our service to forward recommendations only if you are certain that the recipient approves of the receipt of said recommendations.
Signing up and using the ALDI Newsletter: data protection information
ALDI takes the protection of your personal data very seriously and intends to make every effort to prevent the misuse of your email address. To do so, we employ a double opt-in procedure. You will receive an email according to your selection just a few minutes after you sign up. Please click on the confirmation link in the email within seven days. You will not be added to the ALDI Newsletter, ALDI Frische-Angebote Newsletter or ALDI Reisen Newsletter mailing list until you click on the link to confirm your registration. From then on, you will receive the next newsletter automatically.
Your email address will not be used for any other purpose and will not be shared with other companies. We process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
In some cases, the online services on our website contain a link to our partners’ websites. You will be forwarded to our partners’ websites to facilitate the processing of our enquiries and orders. We will not share any personal data in this context. You can enter the data required to enter into business with the respective partner once you have reached the partner’s website. You can identify the party responsible for the data (controller) by referring to the legal notice on the respective website. Our partners’ websites are subject to their own privacy and data protection policies. For your safety, we have contractually obligated these companies to comply with the applicable data protection laws.
Please note that this data protection declaration applies solely to our ALDI website. Information about our individual online services is available below.
Our ALDI Reisen online service provides you with an overview of the latest travel offers. We provide the information about the travel offers. Because we act as an agent, we will forward you to the reservation form for the respective travel provider if you decide to book a trip. By proceeding, you will leave the ALDI website. The personal data you enter there will be collected, processed and used solely by our partner.
ALDI Blumen Service
ALDI Blumen Service offers you a wide range of fresh floral bouquets. Please refer to our partner’s website for a detailed overview of the products and services available. Any personal data that you provide on our partner’s website will be collected, processed as part of your order and used solely by our partner. Here too, we act solely as an agent.
ALDI Foto Service
ALDI Foto Service offers you a wide range of services for your digital photos. Please visit our partner’s website for a detailed overview of the products and services available. Any personal data that you provide on this website will be collected, processed as part of your order and used solely by our partner. Here too, we act solely as an agent.
ALDI TALK offers you attractive mobile tariffs. However, the ALDI North Group is not the provider of these telecommunication services. Instead, it acts as an agent to market the respective products. By selecting ALDI TALK, you enter into a contractual agreement directly with the respective telecommunications service provider. We do not process any personal data in connection with this agreement.
ALDI life offers you a wide selection of music and audiobooks. Please visit our partner’s website for a detailed overview. However, the ALDI North Group is not the provider of this service. Instead, it acts as an agent to market the respective products. Any personal data that you provide on our partner’s website will be collected, processed as part of your order and used solely by our partner. Here too, we act solely as an agent.
Store Finder [Filialfinder] The Store Finder [Filialfinder] allows you to find a store near your home or any other specific location. We will forward the data you provide (postal code, name of city and/or name of street) to our partner. Please visit our partner’s website for an overview of the stores.
Using the ALDI app: data protection information
Along with our website, we also offer a mobile app that you can download to your mobile device. In addition to the data protection information about our website, we would also like to inform you of the following:
- When you use the app, we collect the following personal data for statistical purposes and to improve the app’s functions:
- Your International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) or Push ID
- Your IP address
We do not share the data with third parties except the YellowMap web service. Your IP address will be deleted following statistical analysis.
- To enable access to your device’s functions and sensors, the app uses your device’s interfaces to access the following functions and sensors:
- Location-related information: When you use the Store Finder in the app, we may record and process information about your current location if you allow the app to use your mobile device’s positioning function. We use various technologies such as IP addresses, GPS or other sensors to determine your location.To process Store Finder enquiries, a search enquiry is forwarded to the YellowMap web service (YellowMap-AG, Casweg 1-5, 76131 Karlsruhe, Germany) and the IP address is recorded in the server log.
- Your mobile device’s camera (if equipped) can be used to scan QR codes.
- You will receive push notifications on your mobile device if you have activated the app’s notification service. The search phrases you have entered and your device’s Push ID will be stored in a database to allow you to use this service. Notifications are sent using the push services from Apple (iOS devices) or Google (Android devices).
- The app uses your mobile device’s Wi-Fi connection to connect to the Internet.
- Accessing other functions and sensors on your mobile device allows the app to access data from the Internet and process error messages.
- If you access our ALDI services, for example, our in-app browser will forward you to the corresponding subpages of our partners or the ALDI North Group website. Please refer to the data protection statements on the linked websites or on the websites to which you are forwarded.
Rules for personal recommendations and messages
Please observe the following rules for personal recommendations and messages:
- Users of the services are responsible for the content of their recommendations and messages.
- The users assure that they will not violate the law or public morals (boni mores) during their use of the services. In particular, no pornographic, obscene, defamatory, libellous, offensive, threatening, inflammatory or racist content of information may be sent or posted.
- The recommendations and messages sent by users must be truthful. Users must be considerate of the needs of recipients and other users and must refrain from violating their rights and the rights of third parties.
- Copyrights and other intellectual property rights held by third parties must be respected. Information, content or other material may not be shared without the permission of the holder of the rights.
- Users may not obscure their identity. In particular, they may not claim to be employees or representatives of ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG or any other company of the ALDI North Group.
- Users may not use the service for advertising or other commercial purposes. The sending of statements and/or content not desired by the recipient is not allowed.
- Users who violate the aforementioned rules or rights of third parties during use of the service release ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG, all companies of the ALDI North Group and their employees and/or representatives of any liability for all resulting third-party claims.
- ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG may ban the user from using the service in the event of a violation of the aforementioned rules.
- ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. oHG is liable for damages caused intentionally or as a result of gross negligence by itself or its employees. Liability for ordinary negligence exists only in the event of a violation of cardinal duties. Cardinal duties are duties that must be fulfilled to enable the proper provision of the service and in the fulfilment of which users may be able to have faith on a regular basis. The aforementioned limitation of liability does not apply in the event of loss of life, limb or health, or in the event of warranties intended by their nature to ensure the user against the occurrence of damages.
- These provisions are subject to the law of the Federal Republic of Germany.
Contact with the ALDI North Group
You may use our contact form at any time to send us information and enquiries.
Your information will be forwarded to the regional company responsible for operating the ALDI stores in your place of residence. We process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
We also make use of the expertise from all the companies within the ALDI North Group and our business partners in order to answer your questions promptly and competently. We also forward your enquiry to the appropriate regional company with this goal in mind. In this case, we also process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
When you file a complaint, we also make use of the expertise of the supplier and/or partner responsible for the product affected. We forward your enquiries to our suppliers or partners in order to answer your questions. In this case, we process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (b), (c) and (f) GDPR with the aim of handling your complaint quickly and competently.
Your data are passed on exclusively for purposes of acknowledging information or answering questions addressed to the companies within the ALDI North Group, suppliers or contract partners, and the data are only used by them specifically for this purpose. Your data are not used for any other purposes, in particular not for promotion and advertising, and are deleted after 45 days.
What happens with your personal data when you submit an online job application?
You may apply for advertised positions using our online job application form. To do so, you must share personal data with us that we will use solely to process your application. To ensure the complete and professional processing of your application, your documents will be automatically forwarded to the appropriate ALDI regional company or ALDI Einkauf GmbH & Co. OHG.
We process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (a) GDPR.
Both your digital and printed application will be deleted after five months.
What options and rights do you have regarding storage or further use of your data?
As our customer, you can request information at any time as to whether we have stored personal data about you, and if this is the case, what data have been stored. The processing of personal data pertaining to you makes you a data subject within the meaning of the GDPR, giving you the following rights in your dealings with the controller:
Right of access: You may ask the controller to confirm whether we process personal data pertaining to you, for what purpose and for what duration, which categories of data are affected and which recipients or categories of recipients are given access to this data.
Right to request rectification, completion or restriction: You may request the rectification or completion of incorrect or incomplete data pertaining to you. You also have the right to restriction of processing, especially in the event of mandatory retention periods.
Right to request erasure: You may request the erasure of data pertaining to you, especially if you retract your consent.
Right to data portability: You have the right to request the provision of personal data pertaining to you in a machine-readable format.
Right to object, withdraw consent or lodge a complaint: You have the fundamental right to object to the processing of your personal data and to withdraw consent already given. You have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority.
Processing of personal data at our stores and/or regional companies
Personal data is collected at our stores and/or regional companies solely for the following purposes.
Your data are not used for any other purposes, in particular not for promotion and advertising.
- Returns: Your personal data (first and last name, address and telephone number) will be processed for the purpose of monitoring and avoiding misuse. We process your personal data on the basis of consent given to us (Article 6  [a] GDPR) and our legitimate interest in preventing misuse (Article 6  [f] GDPR). Your personal data will be deleted after four weeks.
- Repairs: Your personal data (first and last name, address and telephone number) will be processed to handle your repair. We process your personal data on the basis of consent given to us. To handle your repair, the supplier of the item will receive your first and last name, address and telephone number for the purpose of sending you the repaired goods or to contact you in the event of questions. All personal data will be deleted once the repair has been completed.
- Insurance: Your personal data (first and last name, address and telephone number) will be processed for the purpose of processing your insurance claim. We process your personal data for compliance with a legal obligation (Article 6  [c] GDPR) to process your claim in conjunction with a legitimate interest (Article 6  [f] GDPR) in notifying our own insurance provider. HDI Global SE, Huyssenallee 100, 45128 Essen, Germany, will receive your first and last name, address and telephone number to process and settle the insurance claim. Your personal data will be deleted once your claim has been processed.
- Customer billing: Your personal data (first and last name, address) will be processed for the purpose of billing. We process your personal data on the basis of Section 14 of the Law on Turnover Tax (Umsatzsteuergesetz – UStG) in conjunction with Article 6 (1) (b) and (c) GDPR. Due to tax-related archiving requirements, your personal data will be deleted after 10 years.
- Debit card payments: Your personal data (IBAN) will be processed for the purpose of handling debit card payments. We process your data on the basis of Article 6 (1) (b) GDPR. Your personal data will be deleted after 90 days.
- Speculative job applications: Your personal data (last name, first name, address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, cover letter, CV and references) will be processed for the purpose of filling positions with qualified candidates and to contact you as part of the application process. We process your personal data on the basis of consent given to us. Your personal data will be deleted after five weeks.
We look forward to your visit.
Your ALDI Team